Accept everything about yourself--I mean everything. You are you and that is the beginning and the end--no apologies, no regrets. Clark Moustakas

Monday, September 19, 2011

Acceptance

I am going through a lot of change in my life right now, some good, some not so good, but all of it is necessary. As I change and grow through it I realize that its a mix of being happy with some aspects of my life and not so happy with others.

For a very long time I have had a hard time with Acceptance and Self Acceptance. As I have grown older, I realize how important this really is. Over time I am learning to be more accepting of a lot things - accepting that I am responsible for my own decisions, my own mistakes and my own destiny. I cannot sit back and wait for someone else to fix the things that are wrong, and I cannot blame anyone else for the good or bad in my life. More importantly, I am accepting that good or bad, how I handle it and move forward is the key to making it count for something. I accept that I cannot undo anything, but given the chance, I can do it better next time.

Self Acceptance defined by Wikipedia
Self acceptance is being loving and happy with who you are now. It’s an agreement with yourself to appreciate, validate, accept and support who you are at this moment.

Self acceptance leads to a new life with new possibilities that did not exist before because you were caught up in the struggle against reality. People have trouble accepting themselves because of a lack of motivation. Some have this misconception that if you are happy with yourself you won’t change things about yourself. This isn’t true, you don’t have to be unhappy with yourself to know and actively change things you don’t like. Acceptance could be called the first step in change.


No comments: